Thursday, February 12, 2015

Scrap map tutorial

I am just in love with the the "scrap maps" I have been seeing recently!!
I decided to try making one myself for my craft room. I have so many pieces of scrap fabric I figured this would be a great way to use them!  I just pulled from the bin, 50 different pieces to use! It was so hard to resist the urge to coordinate it all.
First I downloaded the states from Dream a little bigger  she has each state ready to download and import into the silhouette!! 
You can then cut them out using your silhouette cameo machine! 
I couldn't decide exactly how I wanted to do this so I tried cutting the fabric with the silhouette directly first. 

The only problem with this is it was very tedious to cut each scrap to fit the state and then arrange them all the right way on the mat. 

Next try- cut the states out of heat n bond, iron onto fabric and hand cut! That worked! 
That went much quicker!! Now I will tell you, the states are not all the right size. Most of the east coast is too big, you will need to re size them before you cut! See New Jersey here, way to big! 

Once I had all my shapes sized to fit like a puzzle & cut out, I appliquéd them to the burlap! 
Next up, the sewing. I did not want this to be super perfect. I call it intentionally messy! Zig zags and straight stitch! I used black thread and simply started sewing. 
This took a lot less time than I thought it would! And I just love the result!!
Tonight I'll be mounting it and finishing the edge! I can't decide, scrap edge or fray the burlap?!
I can't wait to hang it in my room!! I do plan to mount it to a painted board and hang on the wall. There are so many ways you could do it!

I will also be adding this to my shop in March after I get back from a much need week in the Dominican!!! Stay tuned!

You can follow The little Green Bean on instagram for updates on the maps, and so much more!

Happy Thursday!

No comments: