Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How to make your cricut mat sticky again

Do you feel like your cricut mats loose their "stick" rather quickly? Here is a quick and inexpensive way to "re-stick" them! 
You will need a repositionable spray adhesive, I used Krylon. DO NOT use permanent! Tape, my favorite is FROG tape, and a scraper.
First scrape any excess paper or residue from your mat to clean it. 

Then using the green edge of the mat as a guide, tape off all 4 edges. You don't want the edges to be sticky, it will not go through the machine properly. 
Then simply spray your mat! Hold the can approx 12 inches away from the mat, you don't want it to go on to thick. Spray 2-3 light coats. Remove the tape and it is ready to use. This can be done over and over again! Saving you lots of money! 


13 comments:

The Crump Family said...

I wonder if this would work for the silhouette? I may have to try this with mine. If I do I will let you know

Bee's hive said...

I tried this...and just a word to the wise, it removes finger nail polish DOH! so wear gloves, and yes it will work on any cutting mat I used the one for my zing.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Thanks for sharing this idea! I was just thinking I need to buy a new mat soon. This will save me so much money!!

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

what a great idea! (and major cost saver)thanks for sharing....i have never seen this adhesive spray until now. thanks for sharing!

Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos
http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

Emily @ RemarkableHome said...

I tried this with a different brand of repositionable spray adhesive. the paper sticks great but when I pull the paper off it leaves a residue on my paper. Does this happen with the Krylon spray?
thanks!

Karen said...

I clean my mats with baby wipes before hand. Let dry well, then spray.

shatril said...

I have actually tried this on both my Cricut and Silhouette Mats. It works wonderfully. I have performed the method twice on one of my Silhouette mats with not degradation of the mat's performance or harm to my artwork. What a great cost saver this is. Now I need to find a way to sharpen my cutter. lol

shatril said...

Dang, forgot to mention that I used the baby wipe recommended in another post.

Unknown said...

Where can I buy this product

HCBC bit.ly/hcbc2 said...

I just bought it in the adhesive aisle at Michael's :)

HCBC bit.ly/hcbc2 said...

Do I have to wait the 3 hours (listed on the can) to wait for the adhesive to dry before I begin my first project? Has anyone tried to use it prior to that.

Lynn said...

Great idea I must try this, mast costing far too much!!

Unknown said...

A rolled up ball of aluminum foil, poke the tip of the standard blade in and out. Works great