Saturday, December 27, 2008

Painting a faux brick wall

I have been planning to decorate Nicholas's room using a vintage gas station/garage/cars, and today I finally decided that it was time. I have been gathering ideas and antiques, I knew for sure that I wanted one wall to look like it was brick, and this is how I did it.
Paint your base coat. This will be your "Grout" color. One coat should do just fine here.

Once the wall is dry, you need to mark it out with a pencil depending on what size you want your bricks to be. Once the entire wall is marked, you then can string your tape. I used 3/8".
Start by stringing your tape vertically, then finish with all of your horizontal lines. This will create a grid.


Next you need to use an xacto knife and cut out pieces of the tape to begin to create your bricks. I recomend starting at the top and working across and down as you go.

Once the entire wall looks like brick, use a roller & paint your brick base color over the entire wall. Before that color can dry, you then create a palette using 3-4 coordinating colors and apply randomly over the wall with a damp sponge until you get your desired look. I used 2 darker shades of red, a dark brown and golden yellow. Remove the tape immediately, do not allow it to dry first. That is it!
It really was not that hard to do, just takes time marking out the wall!
I think his room is my favorite in the entire house!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Missy! You are crazy talented and crazy patient to do a project like this! Looks GREAT!
Shannon

Unknown said...

Thanks! It was actually Mikes idea! We had fun doing it!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Drat. The pics aren't showing on my end unless you did a red x pattern on those bricks. LOL

Missy, I can't find an email on your sites with a link that works. May want to look into that. :)

Your site is looking great!

Funky Junk Donna