Monday, September 13, 2010

Ugly Chair

Why am I not better at taking before pictures??? Because this was quite a transformation! 
This chair was a very dark wood, and awful blue fabric and even uglier brass tacks, I think there were about 150 or more holding the fabric on! So you will have to envision the before, here is the after! 

First I spray painted the entire thing with 2 coats of rustoleum Heirloom white. Then I sanded her down with a heavy grit sandpaper, I wanted it to rally look worn.
I then applied Ralph lauren Smoke glaze, brush on, wipe off. I let it setting into the details before wiping off. That was it for the wood part. 
For the fabric, I simply used the old pieces to make my new ones, ironed the edges and the only part that actually needed sewing is the front, show below. I made piping and had to attach the 2 pieces together. 


The last part was the upholstery tacks, I simply took the ugly old brass ones, spray painted them rustoleum espresso and reapplied them, using maybe 1/2 of what was originally on the chair! 

I just love all of the old detail in this chair, you don't see that anymore! Thank you to my awesome SIL for spotting this baby at a garage sale and picking it up for me because she knew it had great potential!
It's perfect in my room! 

16 comments:

judi said...

beautiful transformation! that fabric is lovely as well as the old casters on the front legs...just perfect & looks great in your room.
your sil has a good eye.
judi ;)

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

There is really pretty details in this chair. And I'm sure they show up a lot better now. Fabric is cute too!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Oh my! It is beautiful! I love how it turned out. The fabric is so pretty.

Julie Johnson said...

STUNNING! Off to find a fun chair tomorrow!

Amy Kinser said...

Such a great job! I am always amazed at furniture redos. Good job...

Dorothy said...

It's beautiful. You did a great job.

Sueann said...

It looks fabulous! Love the fabric!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Karen said...

Oh my! I posted a chair I did today with Heirloom White, and the same fabric! Great minds think alike! I love yours!
Karen

Lindy said...

I love what you've done with this chair. I think the fabric is a little surprise. What fun!

Mel said...

A great update, I can only imagine how it used to look, who cares, it's fab now.

Robyn said...

I applaud you! It looks great!

www.imperfectnest.com

Unknown said...

I really wish we could see the "before" but I have to say that I LOVE the after!!! Totally awesome job! I have an old chair that needs recovering... wanna come to my house?

Kari said...

This looks AWESOME! I love your fabric choice!!! Great job!

AmericKim said...

I love it! It looks beautiful. Saw your blog on the DIY Showoff Blog Party. It's a beautiful blog too. : )

oops! said...

I love this chair - the detail and the fabric! I have reupholstered one chair and going to do more! Your chair has encouraged me to do it sooner than later!
http://oopsredone.blogspot.com/search/label/chairs

Leanne said...

It's beautiful! I love that fabric. Thanks for lnking to We're Organized Wednesday.