Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Tribute to Grandma B.

Grandma Bellefeuille lived to be 92 years old. She passed away almost 2 weeks ago now. She had a stroke and just never woke up. But that was her wish, she always said that she wanted to just fall asleep and never wake up. She went very peacefully after living a very long and full life. She did many things that way, on her own terms. She was 100% Itailan, and she was very feisty!!! She always said what was on her mind. One other thing that Grandma insisted upon was that she did not want a funeral, even though she was catholic. She was blessed by 2 preists prior to her passing, and then we went on respecting her wishes. No funeral, but we had to do something to celebrate her life and all that she gave to us. One of the things I learned from her was how to cook! Her signature italian dish was what she called, covadills, Italian dumplings cooked in a red sauce. They are a family favorite, and I knew that was what we must have. So I offered to cook the meal at my house and wanted to have everyone over to eat. The family also decided that we needed to have some type of private service. One of my dad's life long frends is a minister, and he knew my grandma very well. So he agreed to say a few words and join us for dinner. 


This is my Aunt karen, she is from Califorina, she and my Aunt Peggy, and my Mom, all came over to help prepare the covadills. We had 31 poeple to feed! This is Aunt Karen showing NIcholas and Zach how to make the Dumplings.
Once the dumplings were prepared I made the sauce and managed to turn my living room and kitchen area into a huge dining area. I found this old map of Italy at junk Bonanza last weekend, I knew that I had to have it!! 

Also inspired by something I saw at Junk Bonanza were these vintage style pins, I decided to make them for all the women in my family with pictures of Grandma. They are a wood back, and I printed photos onto cardstock, cut to fit, applied some mod podge to the front and back, added some glitter, buttons and  lace. And there you have it vintage pins! I will be making some more for the cousins who were not able to travel home. 


Here is me after everything was done!! Can't wait to eat!!

You could say that we had a little bit of food!


The entire night was perfect, I think it would have been exactly what she wanted, all of her family together to celebrate her life. 

Uncle Marvin, Aunt Karen, Aunt Peggy, and My Dad. 


Doris Bellefeuille
1918-2010
You will be missed Grandma!!! 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to pay tribute to your Grandmother. You did it right!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Sounds like you celebrated her life just like she would have wanted. I'm Italian too and I know what it's like to cook for tons of people. Looks like you did a beautiful job. Your Grandmother looked like a sweet little Italian lady!

Victoria said...

I am sorry for your loss. We lost our beloved Mimi to cancer on the 18th of August. :(

Roeckers said...

Sorry to hear of your loss!
Glad you were able to smell the rose even in your time of sorrow!

Sueann said...

What a wonderful tribute to her life! So sorry for your loss!
And what a great idea of having the family over to celebrate her life! The food looked delish!!!
Oh! I just loved the pins.
Hugs
SueAnn

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

That was so heartwarming to read. I am sorry your Grandmother is gone. She really would have loved the celebration you all put together. Very touching and the pins were such a sweet idea and remembrance.

The Boston Lady said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes, but good ones. A wonderful way to remember and celebrate what was obviously a great woman who has left a fine legacy in her family. She is surely smiling down on all of you.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Aw Missy.. that was precious. And what a lovely family you have. I love how family bonds together at times of need. Just as it should be.

Thinking of you. xo

Donna

denaL said...

Thanks for sharing the blog on your grandma-what a beautiful woman she was. I love those pins!