Sunday, January 18, 2015

Faux metal letters


I found these amazing letters on clearance for $4 each. Originally $35! 
There was just one problem, I couldn't find and E. Could be why they were on clearance! Ha! I figured I could find one online somewhere, so I bought my L,O,V letters. Well I found several "E" letters online. Even the one that matched this set. It was $40. After getting the other 3 so cheap I didn't want to spend that much on one. I decided to try and make one!
I used a priority mail box, a ruler, xacto knife and a marker.
I used the L as my template. 
Pretty so I had an E! I wanted the metal underneath so I could distress it like the metal letters. 
I started with my rustoleum metallic silver paint. 2 coats because I was painting on cardboard and I wanted to distress without showing cardboard. 
Next I sprayed on 2 coats of red. I waited very impatient as they dried. 
I did add a coat of the red to the front of the metal letters. The color was close but not quite the same. 
Once the letter was try I lightly sanded the edges and then added some clear coat. 

The sanding worked! It totally looks like metal!! 
I am so excited about my letters! 
I wasn't sure if it would work, but looking at them all together you really can not see a difference! Good enough for me! 

No comments: