Wednesday, January 7, 2015

How to accomplish your goals

I know I always think I have plenty of time to get the things done that I really want to. I will craft more, I will send more time with my family, I will plan and cook healthier meals. Well the reality is life is busy, crazy some days and most of the time, weeks, months fly by and before we know it its another new year and we are making resolutions we won't keep. Why don't we keep them? Because we don't make a plan.

I always have great plans & ideas in my head & all those things I want to make that I saw on pinterest! But then & all too often, after some time goes by and life gets busy, I forget all the things I wanted to do. I realized I never really made a plan to do the things I wanted to do, needed to do in order to grow!
So this year I was serious about making a plan. I was not just going to think about what I wanted to do with my business and hope it would happen. I had to make a plan!
The first thing I did, I bought a planner and a notebook. I use this strictly for my business goals. 
The second thing I did, I opened them up and I wrote in them! 
I know how easy it is to have great intentions, you are motivated & full of ideas so you run out to the store and buy the cutest darn planner ever bring it home and watch it collect dust. 
I have done that more than once. Not this year. I am making some changes! 
So I decided that on my lunch hour at work I would work on me, and my business. 
I leave the office and site at a little shake shop, drink my healthy lunch and work on my plan! 

Step 1-Identify your goals
Create a realistic list of what you really want to accomplish. 
Keep it to 4-6 things
Step 2. Make a plan
How are you going to accomplish those goals? 
Break it down and really think about what it will take to get you where you want to be!
Goals that are too big become overwhelming, start small and get bigger.
Step 3. Write it on the calendar, schedule it!
Make sure you schedule things for when you can realistically work on them.
I know my lunch hour is a great time to GSD (get shit done)
But before I get to the lunch hour, I already know what I will work on, because I created a plan! 
I write down exactly what I am going to do and how much time I am allowing myself. If you give yourself 20 minutes, stick to it. If you find that it was not enough, simply adjust for the next time. 
You are much more likely to accomplish your goals if you write them down! 
I can't tell you enough how good it feels to look at the list all crossed off once its complete! 
This is so true! There is something to this that makes your goals feel more like a commitment! 
Step 4. Use the planner every day!
It takes 28 days to create a habit, I find that even after a week it is easier. Change takes time and success doesn't happen overnight. Don't be too tough on yourself. You will slip up, you will forget and something will always get in the way. But just get back to it the next day and before you know you won't know what you did before! I never used to keep a planner and now I am lost without it.
If ever I find myself feeling so overwhelmed I can't get a thing done (which can be often) I stop and make a list. It makes me feel better almost immediately! 


I am so excited about 2015 and what is to come but  know that I will never be where I hope to be without a plan. The first week is the toughest. Be true to who you are and where you want to go! 
I would LOVE to hear your goals, planning ideas and success stories! Please share! 


No comments: