Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dining room facelift

I get my inspiration for things at the strangest times. I was laying down after dinner the other night, hoping for a 10 minute snooze and was staring at our entertainment center. It is a very nice entertainment center, but ever since we had to get a new TV, it just didn't work. It looked too big, and it was made for one of those older big screens that sit right on the floor, so the new flat screen just wasn't working, for me anyway!

That was when I was suddenly no longer tired and got up to grab that tape measure. My husband reluctantly asked what I was doing, because he knew it would for sure involve him, I can not really do much yet, so he and our son get to do all the hard work!
This was the dining room before my big brain storm. It was fine, nothing fancy. Cute enough, right?? Well  picture that entertainment center on each side of the windows...
You now get this! But wait, I had more up my sleeve that includes fabric, you see I hate the windows, they are just ugly! You could see that if it were not for all the back lighting!I drew out my design and went to Wal-mart, they do have some really nice fabric. I had bought some last summer when I re-did my front porch, I knew I wanted to bring the same prints inside.  Lucky for me, they still had it in stock.

 
Sorry about the backlighting, but I can't complain about the warm sunshine, and I was too excited to wait to take pictures! I may take some this evening to see if I can get a better shot, this does not do my curtains justice! I bought the ivory sheers, only $4 for each panel, I only needed 2. Then I made the panels and the valance, they turned out exactly like I had pictured! I made a table runner to match, and then I re-covered my kitchen chairs. 


Before Tan, plain, very simple. After is below, just enough color and print!
I love how the whole room looks like it goes together, there is even room for one of my little tweety birds!
I think now our dining room looks much more put together, the cabinet also has lights in the top. I can't even believe what a difference this made! I love the new look, and all I had to buy was fabric! Now keep in mine, we just took the entertainment center out of our living room, so what happened to that room? Stay tuned, there is more to come! Happy Saturday! 
Here are the better photos! 

 

44 comments:

Victoria said...

awesome job!

Cindy said...

That was totally brilliant! Can't wait to see the LR next :)

the thrifty ba said...

3 words...too. much. energy.
it looks great! such a huge difference!

Anonymous said...

I think that is is amazing! It looks almost custom made for this space! What a great idea for anyone who has upscaled to flat screens. I really love it now!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love that fabric! What a great idea and the pieces fit ~ meant to be! I was thinking where's the TV now ~ can't wait to see what you did.

Anne said...

How cool that the entertainment center fit there! I bet you're loving the change. Can't wait to see what's happening in the other room ...!

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

What an absolutely stroke of genious
you had!! Congrats, it looks beautiful!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

That looks absolutely fantastic!!!! Well done! You've now made me want to wander around my home and change something dramatically! :)

Tausha said...

you rock! I think I said that when I commented on your bunnies-but I just wanted to make sure that you remembered! Great vision! I Love it! Your husband should be happy when you get that little twinkle in your eye-good results come from it!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

That is soooooo fabulous! What a great idea! The fact that it has lighting is even cooler. Great job!!

Amy

Megan Gunyan said...

Great job! I love the prints. Are you planning something fun for your old entertainment center area?

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Fabulous idea! The cabs look like they belong there. And boy, those curtains really did pull it all together so nicely. Love those brain waves and it's best to ride'm when they hit. :)

Donna

Marlene said...

WOW - awesome job! But now what does the living room look like? Poor neked TV! And poor hubby, cuz I'll bet your wheels were turning right after you got the dining room done!

Mama Thompson said...

What a great idea and use of that entertainment center...looks great!

Anny said...

WOW that's what I call an inspired nap ;)

BabiesandBargains said...

wow I love the way you think!! I also LOVE the curtains!! The fabric is beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Looks great.

Sue said...

WOW...that is brilliant...totally genius!!

Sandy said...

The window wall was perfect for the ent/center.. and what I love most is the color of the walls... is that a 'rose color'? How dramatic and classy!
Sandy

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Sueann said...

Great idea and your dining room looks fabulous!! WTG!!!! Using that entertainment center is pure genius!! Love the new drapes too!
Very cool!
Hugs
SueAnn

Connie in Hartwood said...

It's nice to see someone else that plays 'musical chairs' with their furniture. What an improvement! Love how it turned out.
... Connie

sanjeet said...

What a great idea and use of that entertainment center...looks great!

sports video

Unknown said...

Thank you all so much!

Sarah-Stroke of genius is going to be my new phrase when I have an idea, I love that! Meg- I have lots more up my sleeve, this little project involved 3 rooms! And Sandy, the walls are a shade of red, it can look kind of rose in certain lighting, but it is Red for sure! Thanks again everyone, now back to my sewing, the next room involves lots of burlap! :)

Deborah Raymond said...

How perfect that the pieces fit so nicely on either side of your window. They seem custom made for it. The room looks lovely.

jerriann said...

Very nice.

I know what you mean, we look at things for so long that suddenly the idea just pops and it is perfect.

The "entertainment" cabinets look great on either side of the windows and the crown molding looks great over the window, the fabric is just right, everything came together beautifully.

Congrats!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

What a great redo--addition. Love how it looks built in.

Lori said...

Wow Missy ~ it looks like a built in! Awesome idea ~ cannot wait now to see what you did in the living room!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Wow! The cabinets look great in the dining room. You are so smart! :) And so motivated. I love how you just jumped right in and changed it up. It takes me weeks to figure out what I'm doing. haha

Everything looks really nice.

Anna said...

great idea! It looks like those cabinets were built just for that space. The new curtains are very pretty too!

Kaysi said...

This is super cute! I love the fabric on the chairs and the little buttons on the curtains! You are amazing!

Kether said...

Brilliant!!
and I love the shutter with the little mailbox. That is such a sweet detail.

The Saved Quarter said...

Gorgeous! It looks like those are built in cabinets!

The Starr Family said...

For Pete's sake... when you get motivation, look out!! Your idea turned out brilliantly!! Enjoy it!

Marigene said...

Beautiful room! I love your window treatment.

Morgan said...

Your room looks wonderful! That piece looks like it was made for that space and the curtains really pull it all together. I love the fabric! The room looks really great - how creative you are!

Diannia said...

Very VERY nice! I just bought the same fabric and made a window curtain for my front door on Saturday. LOVE the fabric! Love the idea for the entertainment center too!

Unknown said...

It looks awesome Missy!!! Can't wait to see the burlap ones!

Pearl Girl said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG. I found you from Making the world cuter. It got me excited. I think we have similar taste. I have lots of old doors and Windows, I love your master bedroom. We even have the same colors!! I just can't get my hubby on board with the headboard from a door thing. I have been doing a lot more sewing lately but I would love to feature you or do a blog swap. let me know what you think.

beckyscraftcloset.blogspot.com
beckyscraftcloset(at)gmail(dot)com

FrouFrouBritches said...

That looks so amazing! I love it!

Megan Adams said...

I love your blog! Your ideas are amazing! I loved looking at all your projects, your so talented!

Unknown said...

What an awesome awesome awesome make over! You did such a great job!

~Liz

Lisa said...

That looks great! I love it when I get those moments of inspiration. Nice job!

dmvoccola said...

That was brilliant!

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

I agree: BRILLIANT! I would never have thought of that..Id have listed it on Craigslist...and lost out on that potential. Great job!
Sarah