Monday, August 23, 2010

addictions

I think I may have an addiction. Ok I know I have several addictions. But this one is to desks. I have had 2 other "desks" that I have refinished and posted about, one of them less than a month ago. Neither once was an actual desk, so sitting at them was not always comfortable. 
This desk was my SIL's for over 12 years, and then her mother gave it to me about 10 years ago. It has been in 2 of my boys rooms, and with both of them, the most it did was accumulate junk and paper in the drawers. The hutch sat out in the garage for years, and my husband wanted to throw it out (gasp, how dare he even think that way!) And then on Friday I was looking at the lonely hutch in the garage and then I knew what I needed to do. 
Out came the power tools, paint and glaze. 
I sanded the entire thing down, removed the cork board, and all the shelves in the hutch, took off the old particle bead board from the back and started painting. Once the paint was dry I added a coat of Ralph Lauren smoke glaze, made some contact paper cut outs, spray painted the cork board and all the hardware, and about 10 pm Saturday night it was ready to come into the house.
Now even though this is in 2 pieces, it is still very heavy. So I strapped on my big girls muscles, since I have the Patience of a raging bull, and hauled the entire thing in all by myself. and if that weren't enough, I also managed to get the hutch on the top of the desk. The Hubbs wasn't home.... I had no choice, it was either that or wait till morning.
But now my little office corner is (once again) complete. 

I really think that this one is here to stay!!! 

18 comments:

Meghan said...

This turned out awesome sister!

Jeanette said...

Just beautiful!

Sue said...

Looks very nice, good job.
I need to do mine now!

Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup said...

It looks great!!
I'm the same way when I want to get something done. It's like this strength comes out of nowhere!

Sue said...

OMG!!! This is beautiful!!! Hubby must have been very proud of you!!!

Sueann said...

'Tis beautiful!!! I love the color! Well done!
Hugs
SueAnn

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I love it! How in the world did you get the paint in to all those tiny cubbies?? You've got quite a looker there! :)

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Missy... it looks great! I love the color. Addiction eh? Mine is chairs!
gail

Country Mouse said...

OMG!! It looks awesome!!! What a wonderful addiction to have!!!!!!!!:)

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

WOW!! Looks great!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I think you have a keeper there. That is awesome. I love the paint finish and the painted corkboard. Did you use a silhouette to mask the design on that?

Danielle said...

I love how this turned out! Beautiful!

Jodz said...

It looks gorgeous. YOU GO GIRL!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

I just love that desk! The lines are stunning, and you did a fantastic job of refinishing it.

LaurelK said...

Gorgeous! Would love that in my house. Really well done and so charming.

Kerri said...

Wow! YOu did such a great job on this! It looks amazing!

frances said...

It looks awesome. I love when a little bit of paint and a lot of imagination can turn into something so nice. Well done you.

angela said...

Haha! I got a good laugh at "the patience of a raging bull"! I'm the same way and that seems like a very fitting way to describe it! The desk looks awesome. And so organized! Good Job!