Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fun Kitchen Accesories

So today I was working on some fun projects for my ETSY shop and came up with this cute little kitchen set. There is a ruffled towel, a set of 4 place mats, and a pot holder! Here is how I did it! 
 1st, the place mats, I used recycled coffee bean bags for the actual mat, and sergered the edge to keep it from fraying. I then used my cricut to cut my owls. You can cut fabric with your cricut by simply applying heat n bond to the back side, place fabric side down, and cut!! I hand cut the tree branch's and applied them with heat n bond as well! I glued on black buttons for the eyes.



Next up, the ruffled flour sack towel. Before I applied the ruffles I used my cricut again to cut my shape, but this time onto freezer paper. Iron the freezer paper to your fabric to use as a stencil. Paint your shape and let dry. The freezer paper will simply peel off. Once dry you can add your accents. Next I applied the ruffle. 



I cut 3 long strips of fabric and ran them through my machine using my ruffler foot. It makes the best ruffles!! I attached each one to the towel starting at the bottom. When I got to the top ruffle I applied a row of boas tape to finish off the edge. Above that I stitched on a row of pink ric rak. 
Lastly the HOT MITT! This is a oven mitt / hot pad. I began by making my own bias tape to finish the edge of the mitt. I used my bias tape maker by clover, slick little tool! The mitt has 2 layers of batting inside the main mitt, and  layer on the top that goes over your hand.
It is basically a hot pad with 2 pockets on the back. The entire mitt is quilted and has a ribbon loop to hang! 
Now your hand will be covered when you reach into the oven, no more burning your hand on the racks!! 

I used basic grey fabric for my entire project, I can not get enough of it!!! What fun additions for any kitchen!

Now I am participating in CRAFTING WITH THE STARS season 2, and I need your help!!! 

Between now and January 15, they will be accepting entires, and will choose the top 12 projects!  So if you like my stuff, please stop by sew dang cute and take a look!!! 

Thanks for stopping!
href="http://www.sewdangcute.blogspot.com">


10 comments:

Sueann said...

Your projects are wonderful! And I love the colors you chose!! Sweet!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Lisa said...

Absolutely adorable! Who wouldn't want those in their kitchen? : )

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these!! too cute!! If you have a chance come link up to handmade tuesdays tomorrow @ ladybug blessings... www.ladybug-blessings.com

Megan Gunyan said...

Wow, so cute! I love the owls, they are very fun. I'm heading over to CWTS to vote! Good luck!

I'm hosting an "our nest" sign giveaway! Hope you can join! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

Love the owl placemats. They are toooo cute!

Unknown said...

These are fantastic! I love, love, love the owls! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/01/pink-hippo-party-10.html

Good luck in the crafting with the stars competition!

Elizabeth said...

So fun! Your owls are adorable! I have a little bit of that fabric too! Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday. I host every week. I am leaving the party open longer this week so that people can link up multiple projects if they wish to. Hope to see you there! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Jana said...

Turned out super cute! I am in love with all the owl stuff!

Would love for you to come link up!
http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2011/01/glam-party-9.html

maleahbliss said...

I love owls! Yor kitchen set is so cute! :)

I'd love for you to come link this up to my linky party! www.littleEme.blogspot.com

DIYbyDesign said...

The owls caught my eye. Great projects. I linked over from Sumo's Sweet Stuff.