Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rag Quilt Part 3-In the home strech!!

Well today I finished the sewing portion of my quilt! Whew! The hardest part was making sure I kept the pieces in order!
 Once I finished making all the X's, I the pieces to make each row, and then sewed the rows together.
 This is the back side.

 Now for the part I have heard is the worst, clipping all of the seams! But I got the spring loaded scissors so it shouldnt be too bad, I hope!! This will be a "sitting and watching TV job" so I hope to have the finished product early next week to show. That will be after I take it to the laundry mat to wash it, I also heard, that is one thing you dont want to do at home!!
Happy Snipping!! 

To see the complete tutorial you can view step one HERE. and step 2 HERE.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Missy,
I have made a few of those quilts...there's also another pair of scissors sold specifically for rag quilts...same color and brand...the tip of the scissors is only the length of the cut...so they're really fast to use. The key is just a really sharp pair of scissors...and your fingers do get sore from cutting...but the finished quilt is awesome after you wash it...and yes, you could do it at home but you would need to put a sock or netting over your washer hose so you could catch all the lint...it's pounds of threads! Darling fabric you chose!

Katie Olthoff said...

My mother in law made me a lap blanket like that once and I love it. My college roommate had a quilt, and the "cut" side was recycled denim and the other side was homespun plaids in BRIGHT colors. So the denim side had all this brightly colored fringe. It was adorable!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

What a great quilt! I love the fabrics you chose and can't wait to see it all snipped and washed.

Joy B. said...

I love your tutorial. Over the last five years or so, my mom has made flannel pjs for all the ladies in the family, but she doesn't wear hers any more. I have all the nightgowns just waiting to be made into a quilt. Perhaps this is just the motivation I need!